HORIZON BEVERAGE GM NIKKI INKPEN WAS A FEATURED PANELIST AT mit SLOANE SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT
At the Sloan Women in Management (SWIM) April 2019 seminar, Nicole Inkpen, Horizon's Retail National Accounts General Manager, shared her insights on the wine industry's evolution and personal career path alongside co-panelist Laren Friel, Sommelier and Owner of Rebel Rebel Wine Bar in Somerville.
The event concluded with a wine tasting led by Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Wine Club President Michael Robichaud. We caught up with Nikki to learn more:
Career Pathway into the Wine Industry
- Nikki shared her background studying Consumer Analytics, Category Management, and Supply Chain in college, coupled with her love of wine (Nikki has a WEST Level 2 Award in Wine & Spirits), which lead her beyond the traditional Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) career track and into the Wholesale Beverage Alcohol industry.
Current State of Women in the Wine Industry
- Women are thriving across all three tiers of the distribution system at Winery/Producers, Wholesalers, and Retailers. Compared to even five years ago, you see a lot more women in senior leadership roles for everything from winemaking to sales and restaurant group management.
- Nikki's favorite trade associations include Horizon Beverage's Women in Leadership group that hosts quarterly events combining educational seminars, networking, and community service as well as Women of the Vine & Spirit.
Horizon Beverage General Manager Nikki Inkpen (front row, 7th from left) with members of SWIM.
Wine Education Tips for Novices
Thanks for taking the time to chat with us Nikki!
- Nicole's philosophy on wine is to: “forever be a student, not an expert. Love learning about wine!”
- How to confidently tackle a wine list: "there’s no wrong way to enjoy wine or experiment with wine and food pairings!"