Our Women in Leadership program was started by women working within the company in 2018 with a simple mission statement to:
inspire and support the personal and professional success of women at Horizon Beverage.
The group consists of 74 women and men in sales and portfolio management positions in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. The group’s main objectives are to provide career and personal development skills training, create a forum for a productive exchange of ideas and experiences, give women an opportunity to positively affect an evolving culture and team building through community outreach and charity partnerships.
• Partnered with Bacardi and the Bentley Center for Women and Business to present “Overcoming Hidden Barriers and Addressing the Gender Confidence Gap” workshop.
• Partnered with The Predictive Index to offer an assessment tool that identified behaviors participants have a natural tendency toward and how to leverage those tendencies for success.
• Partnered with Heineken and had a photographer take professional headshots so participants could update their digital profiles.
• Partnered with Campari and Bentley Center for Women and Business to present “Men as Allies” workshop. The workshop was also attended by all members of ownership and executive management.
Panel Discussions (by far our most popular events!)
• In 2018 we welcomed Tiffani Faison and Kelly Walsh from Big Heart Hospitality Group (Tiger Mama, Orfano, Fool’s Errand, Sweet Cheeks), Ezra Star from Drink and Christine Elder from Blanchards Wine & Spirits.
• In 2018 we welcomed a team representing every level of the organization at Heineken USA including their Senior Vice President and Chief Legal Counsel, National Sales Director, New England Zone Director and a Boston On Premise Manager.
• In 2019 we welcomed Nicole Brassard Jordan from the New Hampshire State Liquor Authority, Jodie Battles from JK Food Group (Toro, Coppa and Little Donkey) , Nancy Batista-Caswell from Caswell Restaurant Group (Brine, Ceia and Oak + Rowan) and Rachel Moniz from HEI Hotels and Resorts.
Community Outreach and Charity Partnerships
• Project Smile – We partnered with Constellation Brands and 12 volunteers worked a “Fashion on Fire” event to raise money for Project Smile, a non profit that donates books, toys and stuffed animals to police and fire departments for first responders to give Children at the scene of traumatic events.
• Women’s Lunch Place – since opening its doors in 1982 the WLP in Boston welcomes over 200 women each day with a healthy breakfast and lunch in a safe, supportive community. In addition, they proved basic necessities and services such as career counseling and housing advocacy to help restore dignity and hope. We sent two groups of volunteers to work the kitchen for breakfast and ran a collection drive for travel sized toiletries.
• We supported our very own Origin Spirits Representative Kate Mazzotta in a guest bartender role at Lion’s Tale Woman Crush Wednesday supporting “Strong Women Strong Girls”, a nonprofit championing the next generation of female leaders through multi-generational mentoring programs.
What have attendees taken away from these events? Anonymous feedback from surveys:
“A sense of calm knowing my struggles are not just mine alone…knowledge about how to grow from both strengths and weaknesses…mentoring looks different in every relationship…stop with the guilt…more support for each other…a boost in confidence…I have become more open minded…to advocate more for myself and groups I am passionate about…I want to volunteer more…have passion and stick to your honest feelings…be genuine…I am inspired to dig in and truly understand why our employees are with us…”